<$BlogRSDURL$>

Postcards of Grief

Mourning is a process.

Comments on breast cancer by proxy, written by a woman coping with the loss of her mother.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Birth options

We had Hannah (now 2.5) and Brock (almost 1) at Dad's cabin this weekend. While I was combing my hair after my shower, my tank top lifted up enough to show part of my belly. She pointed at my belly and asked, "What's that?"

"I'm growing you a cousin," I told her.

"Cousin?"

"Yeah, a cousin."

"Elmo!"

Monday, I told Paul and Hope about this when we dropped off the kids. I got as far as Hannah asking what "that" was as she pointed at my belly, and from her perch on the couch, she looked up from her coloring book and said, "Cousin!" We all laughed and told her how smart she is. "Elmo!" she said again.

I don't know what her expectations are about what a cousin is, but I hope she's not anticipating that I'll birth a red furry monster who doesn't speak in complete sentences. I have high hopes that my child will speak in complete sentences within three or four years of its birth.


2 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe she was suggesting a name... Elmo for a boy and Escherichia for a girl sounds like an ok selection to me. ;)

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Shelli said...

How cute! But um, what about grover? I LIKE Grover! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

.
This gif is freely copyable. Just right click, save
Powered by
RSSify at WCC

Powered by Blogger