<$BlogRSDURL$>

Postcards of Grief

Mourning is a process.

Comments on breast cancer by proxy, written by a woman coping with the loss of her mother.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Acupuncture update

Mr. Acu Man wants me to start eating meat and plans to move back to Germany on August 1.

He was unable to provide any reason for eating meat other than that it was somehow the best thing. He insisted that it’s not about protein but couldn’t tell me what the purpose was nor what other foods would help fill in the gaps. I asked for alternatives. He suggested beef broth. Beef broth is not vegetarian, just in case you were wondering. I'm unwilling to eat meat. We'll see how determined he is. I'm taking Brooke in with me on Monday to make the case against meat.

He did the acupuncture itself, and he included a little moxibustion. My moxibustion was done on top of slices of ginger, not directly against the skin. When it got hot, I told him, and he moved it. I made a point of being relaxed about the whole needling thing, figuring that it was going to sting since, you know, he was puncturing my skin, but that it wasn't going to be a big deal since they were just little needles, not dinner knives.
There was a point at which the back of my knee was a bit uncomfortable, but all in all, it was a good thing.

Just before I left, he put one little bead on some special acupuncture point on each ear and taped them down. Whenever I want, I massage the little bead, and it’s supposed to relax me. Not bad. And placebo effect or not, my insomnia is way better.


2 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger thistle said...

That is odd--I would expect there to be some kind of equivalent for whatever he thinks you'll get out of the meat. Could he think you're anemic? Anyway, glad it's helping.

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran across this by chance .. and I happen to be an acupuncturist. My guess would be that he wants you to eat meat in order to build your "yang" qualities within the body. This does not relate to anemia or the like. I would be happy to explain it to you more throughly (giving a brief explanation with the written word would be timely and difficult to understand) or you can ask him about this. Best wishes, Mary O.
moleksowicz@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

.
This gif is freely copyable. Just right click, save
Powered by
RSSify at WCC

Powered by Blogger