<$BlogRSDURL$>

Postcards of Grief

Mourning is a process.

Comments on breast cancer by proxy, written by a woman coping with the loss of her mother.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Questions from Frog

1) What’s your favorite part of participating in community-supported agriculture? And, the flip side, the most frustrating?

Superficially, it’s all about the kale. Curly kale, red Russian kale, dinosaur kale, kale kale kale kale. After that, it’s knowing the farmer. It’s intensely satisfying to know who planted the seeds and harvested the food that I’m eating. The world feels a little smaller that way.

Frustrating? Maybe the onslaught of beets near the end of the summer. That’s no good.

2) Describe your most romantic meal—real or fictional, and you don’t have to tell me which it is. In fact, please don’t. I have to see you again, after all. ;)

I’m not into that candlelight and wine stuff. Romance is lost on me, for the most part. My most meaningful meals haven’t been in any sort of context that we could call sexual or even sensual, but in the spirit of the question, I’ll steer my answer in that direction.

Dinner at my wedding reception. I honestly don’t remember what Brooke had, but I ate an eggplant dish with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and a tarragon cream sauce. There was wine and fruit. The cake was a hazelnut-mocha-butter cream tower covered with flowers and fruit.

3) What is your favorite part of your yard?

In the back of the yard where the clothesline meets the grape vines, under the plum tree. That is the ideal location for eating popcorn, drinking lemonade, and reading Harry Potter books aloud.

4) Tell me about the time/place that you felt safest.

When we still lived outside Detroit, we went to the neighborhood pool almost every day in the summer. I was probably four years old and too small to swim in the lap lane section by myself (pool rules). That area was always less crowded, and I was a good swimmer, so my mom would play with me there. I held onto her while she stood in the water. Her skin was warm. It was sunny. She was covered in sunscreen. She smelled comforting. It was a real, warm, human skin smell. I believed that she would never, ever leave me.

5) What’s your best memory of your mom?

Her smell.

Lemme know if you want to be interviewed, and I'll ask you five questions.


6 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Display said...

1. If you didn't have to work, what would you do with your time?
2. If you could have all the pets you wanted, what would you have, and how many would there be?
3. What word do you hate the most and why?
4. What's the deal with buffalo meat?
5. How did you and Jeremy meet?

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger witchtrivets said...

Oh the CSA beets. I never knew how much I hated beets and turnips until I joined the CSA. Now I really hate them -- and I know many ways to cook them as well. Thanks for giving me a beet/turnip ranting opportunity.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger brooke said...

oh! i'll play. i've not played this game yet. question me! :)

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Display said...

Witchtrivets: Rant on, antibeet sister!

Brooke:
1. If you had one year of your life to do over, which one would it be?
2. Would ever consider parenting alone?
3. What does your ideal graduate program look like?
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
5. What should everyone appreciate about you?

Portia:
1. All of your, namlet's, and lp's living expenses will be paid for the next year, and everyone can pick right up where you leave off WRT jobs and school. Money is no object. What do you do for the next 12 months?
2. What was the best part of your pregnancy with lp?
3. Dude, you've been a mom for ten years. Where do you see yourself in another 10?
4. You can promote one little known musical group/artist. Who are they, and what do you love about them?
5. Are we on for a gathering this fall?

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Love your blog. It's my first visit.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Tell me how to like kale. What do I have to do to it? In my experience it's bitter, bitter, bitter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

.
This gif is freely copyable. Just right click, save
Powered by
RSSify at WCC

Powered by Blogger