<$BlogRSDURL$>

Postcards of Grief

Mourning is a process.

Comments on breast cancer by proxy, written by a woman coping with the loss of her mother.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sunshine

I may have just received the best gift I could have gotten: for Ebry to have two legal mommies. It’ll take some time. It’ll be a lot of money and a lot of driving, but we just might be able to do it.

No details yet. I’m still plotting the logistics.



In a conversation with my father about the various ways in which one’s will and/or trust can be arranged, he mentioned that his is arranged per stirpes. If he and Paul and I all died in the same car crash after Ebry was born, Ebry would be entitled to 50% of the proceeds of Dad’s estate, and Hannah and Brock would each get 25%. Although it’s still a little early to think about it, he went on, he would have to make a specific amendment for any child who might be legally Brooke’s but only mine in spirit and in practice.

My father knows these issues, and they matter to him. I consider myself unimaginably lucky to have him.


5 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Just Jay said...

A great guy, your Dad!

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Fingers crossed!!!

(tuypoing is haerd,buut fdor yoou guys, antyhinj!)

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Display said...

Some US states allow two women on the birth certificate, but mine doesn't. Believe me, I've done more research on this than you could possibly imagine.

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emilin: You can get both mommies on the birth certificate, once the legal adoption is finalized -- I could help you with resources to figure it out, if you don't know them yet. Julie, LMNetwork

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Display said...

Thanks, Julie. The hard part is going to be the adoption, but we have a good lead. As you mentioned, we have to do that first. It's not as simple as listing both of us on the birth certificate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

.
This gif is freely copyable. Just right click, save
Powered by
RSSify at WCC

Powered by Blogger